Friday, November 30, 2007

Artemis

Once you have a tattoo they tell you at the shop that you will want more and it is true. But overall, I am trying to resist the urge right now so my parents won't die of upset over seeing another one. But I come up with them in my head all the time. For a while it was a whale tattoo, one of the images of whales by the Inuit that you can find all over Canada. Whales symbolize record-keeping. They are giant libraries, sort of like the Earth. The records are stored in rocks, and other material objects, as well as in our cells, our DNA, and in our collective consciousness and unconsciousness. We are all libraries.

Last night I wanted a bow and arrow. You wouldn't expect me to want a bow and arrow because, as you may know, I don't hunt. But I have always loved the story of Artemis and I love Artofher, showing her with lots of dogs, out in the Wild, carrying that *icking bow and arrow. Once I was walking with my then four dogs on a golf course in early morning with the fog rolling in, and I felt rather like Artemis myself. Sort of, except for the golf course. Then, last night I pulled the Artemis card from my Goddess deck. There she was in the sunset, a deer behind her, standing by a fire with her *icking bow and arrow aiming at something, no less. So I read the text thinking, I love everything but that bow and arrow...and here's what it says...(Goddess Guidance Oracle Cards by Doreen Virtue, Ph. D. available through Hay House Publishing)...

The Greek goddess Artemis is the twin sister of Apollo, the sun god. She's a powerful, tomboy-ish goddess who prefers to spend her time in the woods with wild animals. Artemis has carried a bow and arrow ever since they were given to her in childhood, yet she never uses them to hurt anything. Rather, the energy of her bow and arrow is a talisman that helps her focus her thoughts and intentions, and she always reaches the mark of her manifestations.

Artemis helps us concentrate and focus as well. She offers protection to all who call upon her, particularly women and children.

Loved that. I want to focus on that novel with my bow and arrow.

2 comments:

kimmarla said...

Wow, Sarah - I love that too! I love your writing, and I also love the thought of using the bow and arrow for peaceful, positive focus. Thank you for sharing this - and your poems!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the support, kimmarla!

I hope to see you next time.